Wednesday 13 April 2022

Ramana Sahasranam-3 (1 to 209)

 https://archive.arunachala.org/docs/sadhu-om/sri-ramana-sahasram

1 to 209

10) The "True Seeing" means one/s seeing oneself.

"Seeing Other" - can it not be other than blindness?
Therefore, see me so that I shall ever have that
blissful gracious look Self-ward with great love.

13) My great desire is to obtain by prayer the sacred
dust of the Feet of mighty Ramana which restores
for me my natural state where I remain alone as
mere "I am" being rid of all thoughts.

14) O Bhagavan, there will be no one who will be as
happy as I shall be, if You give me a small particle
of sacred dust of Your Feet in chit-ananda which
ever shines in the same manner without
undergoing the change of being present once and
absent in another time.


15) By knowing that my own destruction is my
real existence and by having unequal desire for my
own destruction and through the glance let me
attain my real existence by my own destruction.
Bestow upon me thus, the experience of Your
eternal presence.

16) If You give me the unobstructed surging experience
of knowing that Your presence is truly everywhere
and that everything (in the world) is nothing but
Your own form, that alone will be the kind divine
gift Sat-Chit-Ananda lovingly to me.

.....


22)  O, great Guru, I pray to You that You should take
my body, speech and mind under Your control
always till the body dies, and handle them in such
that they will never take to useless activities.

.......

33) Give me the strength not only to forgive those who
do wrong to me but also to forget the wrong. Make
me stand firm in that unequal state where I will
merge in You and will have no existence of my own.

34) I am living here only by the help and protection of
Your Grace. Bestow upon me the golden humility, so
that I shall never forget this and think egotistically
that it is all by my tapas and it is all due to my
merit.

......

40) O Lord Ramana only Your Feet are the shade to be
in an unaffected natural state where I can be free
from pain and pleasure which are the results of
blame and fame created by the words because of
the petty mind seeing the non-existent world as
something real and different from me.

.....

41) Take me to and fix me in the unshakeable state of
sahaja by giving me a bath of Jnana and by
providing me the cessation of all mental agitation
caused by fame and blame.

42) Not knowing that abiding in me (self) alone is the
highest happiness. I jump and run towards those
which are in front of me. Why have You not given
me the power of discrimination so that I shall be at
rest by knowing the truth that all these second and
third person objects are not at all existing apart
from me (self)

44) Not knowing what is reality and becoming a slave
of the illusory world, the mind becomes weak
forgetting the self, runs outward. So You shine well
destroying this forgetfulness of my stillness of Self.

..........

48) If You give me such courageous intellect by 
Your
Grace to firmly determine that any activity except
loving and abiding in the Heart is useless,
 I will not
request You even a bit (atom) of anything else.

52) Unite with me so that the strength of my false mind
be destroyed, which does not have love towards
Self (Heart) even though it has heard the real and
golden words of Your teachings. 

"Except from Your
Feet, the heart, the souls do not get an iota of
pleasure from anything else".

56) I bow before Your exemplified supreme vairagya
which You have shown by living with an only one
old torn loin cloth which was stitched with a thread
from the same rag and with a needle made up of
thorn. I beg You to bestow upon me such vairagya.

61) Even though I have learnt that the pleasurable
experience of any of the five senses is derived only
from self the heart, will not my mind turn within
seeking complete rest instead of trying to feed the
five senses for happiness?

..

64) Even though You advised me a number of times that
no trouble will befall on me, unless it is destined ,
how is it proper on my part to go against Your
advice, instead of drowning in peace with a mind
completely surrendered to You?

66) Bestow Your Grace upon me so that I shall not be
caught into the deceitful anger, but to subside
within with the mind well controlled by viveka
(discrimination) that except for my prarabdha none
other is in any way responsible for any misery that
comes in my life.

69) I have found out the cause for my sufferings. It is
nothing but my rising (as the body) instead of
remaining as 'I am'. The proper medicine for it is
Your upadesa "Who am I?". Now You Yourself
graciously feed me this medicine so that I may take
it and rest at peace.

70) What was I before I identified this body as I? How
and as what will I naturally be after the death of
this body which is this I? This confusion is terrible.
Kindly reveal to me.

74) Except by Your Grace how can I the meek get the
strength to destroy the ego. Therefore, by Your
Grace spring up from within in the form of the
strength of the enquiry about the reality (Self-
enquiry) in the form of love towards the
introversion (Self-love) or (swatma Bhakti) and in
the form of strength to abide in self.

75) Pleasure and pain are the results of love and hatred
towards things which are appearing to the mind as
if existing or non-existing. Therefore, if You give the
mental strength to enquire or attend to "is there an
‘I’ existing" (to whom is this pain and pleasure)?
Then how can there be any pain or pleasure for
me?

76)  Ordain my mind to enquire one-pointed within,
instead of being frightened and extroverted. Make
me by Your Grace one with You, the reality and to
become the ocean of bliss.

77) QO Ramana, who graciously manifested as
Arunachala the Hill of Jnana in front of Brahma and
Vishnu makes me know that which shines as 'I, I' is
the true 'I' by firmly catching hold of You, make me
drown in the heart with well established silence.

78) Not knowing and having no power to do (any
sadhana) I have come to You and surrendered. To
such a person if You ask me to do vichara where is
the strength for me. You who has a true power on
me to do this also (vichara).

Praying for the destruction of inadvertence

89) Oh, the one who bestows Jnana through Your look! Oh, the Lord Annamalai in human form! Root out the ghostly tree of inadvertence (pramada) by bestowing upon me the greatest earnest love is Self-Attention. 90) I am unable to abide firmly in Self-Attention due to the wild possession of the ghost "inadvertence" (pramada). Give me fast, the boon that the missile of Grace targets the ghost and makes it annihilated to the root.

91) Turn my life fruitful by making me reject all useless
activities which are in no way beneficial for the
(real) awakening and by making me for for the path
of Your upadesa (vichara). Also, make me act by the
power of Your Grace that idleness, the poverty (of
Grace), should perish.

92) Shower the rain of Your Grace upon me whose
heart is broken and dried (due to the worldly
desires) so that at least from now on it should gain
love to Your gracious Feet and thereby get a great
unceasing interest (for vichara) and enthusiasm to
get rid of the inadvertence.

93) Oh, my lord be gracious to me a little, so that my
mind which slips down and wanders away due to
inadvertence, should have unceasing love, get fixed
firmly at You become one with You and enjoy Your bliss.

101) I now understand that the many different
knowledge I have acquired through seeing,
reading and practising are really remaining and
distracting me for away from Your divine Feet.
Therefore graciously teach me the art of reaching
You.

102) To the first person singular ego, You form a root
cause as first person singular and never take dual
form as world such as ata(?). "supreme"! I, the
meek one let me learn the Self-knowledge so that I
can overcome the multitude of knowledges and
later never rising to say as ‘I learnt’ the Self-
knowledge, by submerging in You. Kindly show me
Your light of Grace.

......

104) My rising as 'I' (am so and so) is nothing but the
rising of miseries and the miseries are also only for
the rising I and by the rising I. 

Therefore,graciously make me learn the skill of remaining
unswervingly in the supreme Self.

......

105) If I am given to experience the consciousness in
sleep where there is neither pain nor pleasure,
what more will be needed in the walking state (a)?
Therefore, make me learn the state of unbroken
sleep with consciousness and remain ever "as I is"
(?) (a): other than the experience

112) By Your nature, You're present (exist) at all places;
With that rule, You are also present (exist) in my
heart;But how is that I do not have peace? Unless
You destroy the tendencies of chitta which creates
attachment and bring me under Your gracious rule,
there cannot be peace in me. Graciously do it.


114) The vasanas which never allow me to remain is my
state of being (self), take the different forms of
likes and dislikes and make me whirl in the ever
increasing screen of dream - appearance. You, who
alone is fit to put an end to this, be gracious.


116) Bestow Your Grace upon me so that I shall drown
deep in heart by vichara destroying the
accumulated past vasanas which are so strong that
they rise from chittam stealthily all of a sudden and
rob off the strength of even a well balanced mind
and spoil it.

117) Oh my Lord, destroy the root from which all useless
thoughts rise up unceasingly like waves and unite
even with Your Feet so that I may always be worthy
of Your Grace.

118) How can I, the dull minded one be able to remain in
the thoughtless state of Siva? Oh my father, kindly,
come and help me by Your Grace so that all the
vasanas in me will die.


119) Will any vasanas survive without depending upon
an 'I' the form of mind? If You, the Lord destroy
today itself this 'I', the ego which one of the
vasanas can remain anymore?


120) Unless the vasanas which are continuously
obstructing and spoiling all the efforts taken from
my very early days when I took this body are not
destroyed by Your Grace, Oh, Ramanesa, what can I
do further?

......


121) Oh, my Lord in my heart how can I describe all the
innumerable vasanas in me? Even a little I cannot
do. Therefore, graciously destroy all of them and
make me merge in Your Feet, the True Jnana which
does not know any otherness (bit of differentiation)


123) Vasanas the impressions of the past karmas are the
cause for the rising of the ego 'I'. 
But now I, Your
slave, pray to You and call for Your help.
 Graciously
protect me from vasanas (henceforth) and You (self)
shine forth.

..

132) Are You not the proper doctor who knows well what
is the proper medicine for my poor, weak mind
which repeatedly falls back not able to stand firm
as 'I am that I am'. Give me that medicine.

133) By Your Gracious churn bring out all vasanas stored
in me for ages and destroy them totally while
churning by Your Grace when vasanas rise up, lift
up my level so that I could bear whatever
difficulties I may have to face.

134) Here is this fellow, one 'I', because of his existence
there appears millions of evil and miserable lives on
earth. All these are nothing but the impure nature
of this 'I'. Graciously purify and free him from all
the impurities and reveal the reality that You alone
exist.

......

139) Though all creatures and all the ordinary worldly
people with attachment are having love towards
Self, but in a round about way, while is not the one
who is introverted alone attains liberation the
Bliss? (Therefore be gracious not to give ....inverse
138 (?))

...

141) O my Lord Ramana, see my poor state that I cannot
live even a moment without Your Grace will You not
make my mind which springs and wanders over
only the second and third person objects, to turn
inward giving up the external and to be happily
quiet.

143) Give me in such a way that it will become easy for
me to turn Self-ward without attending to other
things (the world) 
which  seemingly exists 'because of
my slackness in Self-Attention.'

........        .......


I Am = Grace

150) I understand that Your shining within as 'I am' (the
sat-chit) is itself Grace. But also do by Your Grace
the act of removing the mind's tendency of going
out and turn it towards Self.


151) I do not have so much eagerness to turn inward as I
have towards outward. What (tapas) shall I do to
obtain greater love to turn inward (ie., towards
self) than the love I have towards the deluding
attention.

152) Fix me in the grand Self-attention where I cannot
have any liking even in the least to see anyone of
the second/third person objects.
 
Where the 'I
and mine' (matured) will never rise at all due to the
very advanced Self-Attention which will grow there
more and more.


153) If You bestow upon me the intense desire to gain
the happy state of being still and to have not even
the least desire towards the external delusion an
thus fix me in the Heart, then all my fear will
vanish. Kindly, give me only this.

174) if You do not bestow Your Grace upon me so that I
shall conquer the ghostly rising of 'I' and ‘mine’
through proper viveka, I shall become a store of all
blames and shall fall into the waste pit of birth and
death. Will it not be so? Therefore, bestow Your
Grace of proper viveka upon me.

.....

175) The foolish mind slipping away from abiding in Self,
first knows a body as 'I' and then a world in front of
me as real. 
Why does it rise so? 
This rising is highly
improper for me.
 Therefore Gracefully destroy it.


176) Destroy my ‘I am this body’ idea which is an
obstacle to attain the priceless supreme divine life
of self, the eternal knowledge where the delusion of
the body awareness ceases to exist.


177) You are the 'Being - I' where the rising ‘I' does not
exist. Bestow Your Grace upon me, who, in all my
days of worshipping You, is weeping before You and
sincerely begging to You so that the rising 'I' should
drown in You, the being 'I'


180) To attain the pure life where You alone are and not
‘I’ is wise. What can then remain as ‘I' or ‘mine’ if
the ghostly ego is annihilated by Your missile of
supreme silence?

.

181) Guru Ramana, instead of You, my Lord, I the slave
should not rise and say ‘I will do this'. Let this
rising be destroyed and annihilated by the power of
Your Grace with Your cool heart.

184) why? Is it necessary that an 'I' the individual should
live? By seeing me as non-existent what loss You
are going to have? By not allowing me to rise once
for all and subside in You, be gracious. If not what
will be of use to anyone (no use)

185) Hereafter bestow upon me that I do not feel any
(beingness of body) conscious of the body separate
from self. Is it not now essential for You to provide
me the life of ever remaining at Your Feet attaining
which one can never have movement of birth and
death.

186) Press me by Your divine Feet which has taken me
as Your own, so that I shall not rise again as 'T' in
this body or in any other bodies and that. I shall be
drowned in the taste of the bliss of being still.

188) Other than attaining naturally the loss of
individuality, what else is my desire here? If You
also agree to give me this boon, what more
happiness is for me in any world?


189) Unlike those want to gain something from You and
enjoy, I beg to You for my own annihilation. I will
never ask You anything else. If You provide me this
boon, then how can anyone survive there to ask You
anything more?

190) Reveal to me who take refuge at Your Feet, the
reality which is the base of all and see that the
delusive individuality will never rise up again.

191) Will it be proper for Your Grace to allow me, the
wicked one to rise as 'I' without (?) You alone exist
as 'I am'? O Arunachala Ramana, my mother, my
father, my guru who took me as Your own, kindly
annihilate me by making me uniting one with You.

192) Crush me to drown fully in You removing my
confusion of rising as an individual 'I' who gives
room for the rising of the false appearance of the
world and see it (as if different from me)

193) Since even the skilful intellect which has learned
the vedas and vedanta is destroyed when Self-
knowledge dawns and thus since even the vedas
become avedas (not at all the knowledge) -
ignorance, kindly swallow all such ignorance as
nivedhana (food offering to You).

194) Is he (the 'I') not an unreal one who knows the non-
existent (world) as existent? Where from this unreal
one (I) gets power to see so except from You, the
really existing one? O my Lord, kindly destroy him
(me) so that I do not exist any more.

195) Take my attachment to this body (I am this body
idea) as the camphor offering to the Hill of fire
(Arunachala) leaving no residue (after burning).
Tell me, is this not the only boon for which I ever
prayed to You?

197) O my Lord, without the rising and setting of the ego
‘I' (waking and sleep), make me to be still. 
If I get
this boon from You by praying, weeping and
begging to You, all my fire of desires (tapagni) will
be extinguished and cool bliss will prevail.

198) O Lord, who came on earth to save even the worst
people, kindly prevent and stop this improper rising
of 'I' though it (I) rises for whatever reason.

199) O the one who glanced me in the form Sri Ramana
Guru, and took me as Your own, why did I rise
instead of remaining in You (self) who bestows bliss
more and more when I remain in You. Help me
again to subside in You without rising by showing
me the secret.

204) By the false mind which comes out from You as if a
separate entity, there appear objects other than 'T'
and then arise a desire in the form of thoughts for
them. Is it not? When will I drown in You without
leaving You?

206) Since I who rose first, myself is a thought, I cannot
hereafter remain without thinking. Therefore, to
fall back and drown in You, is the state of
thoughtlessness. Bestow this worthy boon on me.

207) O my Lord, by Your Grace give me the well
established state of Self-existence without rising to
the first thought from (‘I'). Enough of miseries I had
experienced by the rising of the mischievous
delusive mind because of my not remaining quiet.

208) Until Ia separate entity remain there will be fear,
desire, hatred and so on. When I do not rise as an
individual and You alone exist, to whom will all this
belong? Therefore give the state of non-rising.

209) Why did I rise? Why did I rise? Alas from now at
least, give me the boon of not rising again (as 'I').
Destroy by Your Grace all multitude of vasanas
accumulated in me because of my rising as body.

..................end......



No comments:

Post a Comment