Monday 22 February 2021

mira

 https://allpoetry.com/Mirabai

From Apr 2020



Those who adopt the external garb of a Jogi,

But do not penetrate to the secret,
Are caught again in the net of rebirth.
..

I am mad with love
And no one understands my plight.

Only the wounded
Understand the agonies of the wounded,
When the fire rages in the heart.
Only the jeweller knows the value of the jewel,

Not the one who lets it go.
In pain I wander from door to door,
But could not find a doctor.
Says Mira: Harken, my Master,
Mira's pain will subside
When Shyam comes as the doctor.

..

Strange Is The Path When You Offer Love

Do not mention the name of love,
O my simple-minded companion.
Strange is the path
When you offer your love.
Your body is crushed at the first step.

If you want to offer love
Be prepared to cut off your head
And sit on it.

Be like the moth,
Which circles the lamp and offers its body.
Be like the deer, which, on hearing the horn,
Offers its head to the hunter.
Be like the partridge,
Which swallows burning coals
In love of the moon.
Be like the fish
Which yields up its life
When separated from the sea.
Be like the bee,
Entrapped in the closing petals of the lotus.

Mira's lord is the courtly Giridhara.
She says: Offer your mind
To those lotus feet.

.....

Those who adopt the external garb of a Jogi,

But do not penetrate to the secret,

Are caught again in the net of rebirth.

.................

Sleep

Sleep has not visited me the whole night,
Will the dawn ever come?
O my companion,
Once I awoke with a start from a dream.
Now the remembrance from that vision
Never fades.
My life is ebbing as I choke and sigh,

When will the Lord of the Afflicted come
I have lost my senses and gone mad,

But the Lord knows my secret.
He who deals out life and death
knows the secret of Mira's pain

...

Unbreakable

Unbreakable, O Lord,
Is the love
That binds me to You:
Like a diamond,
It breaks the hammer that strikes it.

My heart goes into You
As the polish goes into the gold.
As the lotus lives in its water,
I live in You.

Like the bird
That gazes all night
At the passing moon,
I have lost myself dwelling in You.

....

The dagger of love has pierced my heart.

...

Mira Danced with Ankle Bells

Mira danced with ankle-bells on her feet.

People said Mira was mad; my mother-in-law

said I ruined the family reputation.

Rana sent me a cup of poison and Mira

drank it laughing.

I dedicated my body and soul at the feet of Hari.

I am thirsty for the nectar of the sight of him.

Mira’s lord is Giridhar Nagar; I will

come for refuge to him.
but she'd tasted the nectar of passion.
Might not know any Veda,
but a chariot swept her away-
now she frolics in heaven, ecstatically bound
to her god.

The Lord of Fallen Fools, says Mira,
will save anyone
who can practice rapture like that-

I myself in a previous birth
was a cowherding girl
at Gokul.

...

Listen

Listen, my friend, this road is the heart opening,

kissing his feet,
resistance broken, 
tears all night.
...

Your Slander Is Sweet

Rana, to me your slander is sweet.
Some praise me, some blame me. I
go the other way.

On the narrow path, I found God’s
people. What should I turn back for?

I am learning wisdom among the
wise, and the wicked look at me
with malice.

Mira’s Lord is Giridhar Nagar.
Let the wicked burn in the kitchen fire.

Mira’s God is the lifter of mountains.
I don’t like your strange world, Rana,

A world where there are no holy men,
and all the people are trash.

I have given up ornaments, given up
braiding my hair.

I have given up putting on kajal
(collyrium), and putting my hair up.

Mira’s Lord is Giridhar Nagar; I have
found a perfect bridegroom.

...

A great Yogi

In my travels I spent time with a great yogi.

Once he said to me.



Become so still you hear the blood flowing

  through your veins.”




One night as I sat in quiet,

I seemed on the verge of entering a world inside so vast

I know it is the source of

all of

us.

...

Turn Back?

This infamy, O my Prince,
is delicious!
Some revile me,
others applaud,

I simply follow my incomprehensible road.

A razor-thin path


but you meet some good people,
a terrible path but you hear a true word.

Turn back?
Because the wretched stare and see nothing?


O Mira's lord is noble and dark (savala)
and slanderers
rake only themselves
over the coals

...


Mira says: My whole world is Shri Krishna;
Now that my gaze is turned inward, I see it clearly

....

I Write Of That Journey

I remember how my mother would hold me.
I would look up at her sometimes and see her weep.

I understand now what was happening.

Love so strong a force
it broke the
cage,

and she disappeared from everything
for a blessed
moment.

All actions have evolved
From the taste of flight;
the hope of freedom
moves our cells
and limbs.

Unable to live on the earth,
Mira ventured out alone in the sky -

I write of that journey
of becoming as
free as
God.


Don't forget love;
it will bring all the madness you need
to unfurl yourself across
the universe.

.....

The Beloved Comes Home

The one I longed for has come home;
The raging fire of separation is quenched.
Now I rejoice with Him, I sing in bliss.


The peacocks at the cloud's roar
Dance with unbound joy;
I rejoice in ecstasy
At the sight of my Beloved.

I am absorbed in His love;
My misery of wandering
In the world has ended.
The lily bursts into bloom
At the sight of the full moon;
Seeing Him, my heart blossoms in joy.
Peace permeates this body of mine;
His arrival has filled my home with bliss.

That very Lord has become my own
Who is ever the redeemer of His devotees.
Mira's heart, scorched by the blaze of separation,
Has become cool and refreshed;
The pain of duality has vanished.

,,,,

I am true to my Lord

I am true to my Lord,
O my companions, there is nothing to be ashamed of now
Since I have been seen dancing openly.

In the day I have no hunger
At night I am restless and cannot sleep.
Leaving these troubles behind, I go to the other side;
A hidden knowledge has taken hold of me.

My relations surround me like bees.
But Mira is the servant of her beloved Giridhar,

And she cares nothing that people mock her.

..

Friend, Without That Dark Raptor

Friend, without that Dark raptor
I could not survive.
Mother-in-law shrills at me,
her daughter sneers,
the prince stumbles about in a permanent fury.
Now they've bolted my door
and mounted a guard.
But who could abandon a love
developed through uncounted lifetimes?
The Dark One is Mirabai's lord,
who else could
slake her desire?

...

So imp ad beautiful-

Only He Knows The Bitterness Of Love

Only he knows the bitterness of love

Who has deeply felt its pangs.

When you are in trouble

No one comes near you:

When fortune smiles.

All come to share the joy.

Love shows no external wound.

But the pain pervades every pore

Devotee Mira offers her body

As a sacrifice to Giridhara for ever.

...

If you cannot picture God
in a way that always
strengthens
you,

You need to read
more of my
poems

................///////////////////////////////////.........................

Tulsi das 

......


Maya (translated in English)

Up till now I have lost much and wasted life in idle pursuits.

The grace of Lord Rama has aroused me from sleep.

Awakened now, I shall not allow myself to be victimized by Maya (illusion).

I have gained the grace of the Lord's Name. I shall hold it fast to my bosom and not let it from me for a second.

The beautiful form of the Lord I shall cherish in my mind.

Long has this world mocked me, making me a slave of the senses.

Now I shall have no more of it.

I am now a bee at my Lord's Lotus Feet and shall not allow my mind to leave the enjoyment of their nectar for a moment.

Lord Rama! My honour is in Your hands.

You are the protector of the poor; I surrender myself at Your Feet.

I have heard of the sinners whom You have reclaimed.

I am an old sinner, pray extend Your loving hand and take me to Yourself.

To destroy the sins of the sinner, and to remove the ailments of the afflicted is Your occupation.

Grant me devotion to You, O Lord, and confer Your grace on me!

...

Sound Celestial

Listen, O friend, to the thunderous roar of Shabd,
Which reverberates throughout the firmament.
Water, which becomes turbid by relishing the earth,


Gets cleansed of its impurities when filtered.



Waves of pure bliss emanate from the heart
When the moss that covers it is removed.


Hold the arrow, be still, stretch the bow taut,
Fix your aim sharp at the target, pierce the firmament.
The invisible world is contained within the human eye,
So say and describe all men of inner knowledge.
Behold the Brahmand within, through your astral eye.
When that eye is opened, everything stands revealed.

The soul in Sunn will hear resounding peals of Sound,
She will uncover and know the essence of Shabd.

They alone, O Tulsi, will know that perfect state,
Who have seen and experienced it themselves.

.....

Truth Lies Within

Within the body lies the essence which the Vedas and the Puranas are seeking.
Within this body exists the entire Universe, so the sagacious Saints say.
Recluses, ascetics and monks are searching for Him in variegated garbs.
Rishis, munis and avdhoots lay stress on scriptures and holy books.
The learned of the world, puffed up with pride in their scholarly traditions, remain deluded by their erudition.
They delude the world through the practice of pilgrimage, fasting and charity;
They glorify bathing in holy waters and their followers bear the evil consequences.
They get lost in rituals and external observances and never can reach the destination.

Such is the state of people in this world
Who keep revolving in the cycle of eighty-four.
Only the Saints have attained the Ultimate, O Tulsi,


They obtain liberation who realize this truth.

(sam-nothing else)

The pedantic are engrossed in the practice of traditions,
And evermore, in their ego, are they enslaved by delusion

....

The Rainy Season

In whom longing for the Beloved hath taken abode,
Every moment his body becometh feeble and enervated.
A stream of tears constantly flows from his eyes;
The pangs of pain ceaselessly smart his body and mind.


Like rivers in Sawan and Bhadon, 

overflows the stream of my love.
Day and night I long for Him and tears fall like incessant rain.


The pain for my Beloved increasingly 

penetrates my being every moment;
My attention can be transfixed on nought but him,


Even as the moon bird never gets satiated by looking at the moon.

Dark clouds gather and burst with thunder, and lightning dazzles the eyes.
The peacock crows in delight and the rain bird sings his longing.

I yearn for thee evermore, my body keeps wasting away in anguish.

When I listen to the Sound, I lose my patience and I write to my Beloved.
With mind and soul as my couriers, I send my message to His inaccessible abode.

When I hear the tidings of His well-being,
My heart is filled with love and delight.


Ever since this yearning for the Lord has taken hold of me,

I have severed all connections with the world.

....
imp-

Within This Body

Within this body
breathes the secret essence.
Within this body
beats the heart of the Vedas.

Within this body
shines the entire Universe,
so the saints say.

Hermits, ascetics, celibates --
all are lost
seeking Him
in endless guises.

Seers and sages perfectly parrot
the scriptures and holy books,
blinded by knowledge.

Their pilgrimage,
and fasting,
and striving
but delude.
Despite their perfect practice,
they discover no destination.

Only the saints
who know
the body's heart
have attained the Ultimate, O Tulsi.
Realize this, and you've found your freedom.


While teachers trapped in tradition
know only the mirage
in the mirror.

...



Kavitavalai (Tulsidas)

niranjana pavai. (v. 7.148+) [Making a vessel of your ear, listen to the guru’s words and get the milk; Then making an earthen pot of this body take the coagulator, the company of sadhus; Grabbing there the pole of steadfastness—says Tulsi—let the three defects burn and flow away; Taking the staff of wisdom, churn the soul’s buttermilk, and then get the fresh butter, the Untainted One.]

...................end..............


No comments:

Post a Comment